Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a copy of a police report?

You may request copies of police reports by calling, writing, or visiting the Records Division. There is a fee of $5 per report. You may mail written requests to Records, 1502 U.S. Highway 98, Daphne, AL 36526 , but please allow 3 days from the time of the incident for processing. You may also call (251) 621-2809 for more information.

What should I do if I get a traffic ticket or citation?

If you need information about a ticket or traffic citation, you may contact the Municipal Court of the City of Daphne rather than calling Daphne Police Department. Once the ticket is issued, it becomes part of the court process and is handled by the Clerk of the Courts. You may reach them by dialing (251) 621-2824.

Don’t the police have better things to do than write tickets?

Traffic enforcement is a very important part of the law enforcement function. There is a direct correlation between the number of traffic tickets issued and the number of traffic accidents that occur. It is not just property damage we are concerned about. We know that by enforcing Alabama traffic laws, we are preventing injury and loss of life. Additionally, many traffic violators are issued written warnings which do not carry fines or require a court appearance; however, these warnings are kept in databases and repeat offenders can be identified and ticketed for subsequent offenses within a one year period.

What can I do about speeding vehicles on my street?

By the time you call us, the vehicle will probably be gone, however, if the speeding vehicle continually returns, call our Communications Center at (251) 621-9100 and a police unit will be dispatched as priorities warrant. If the speeding problem persists, you may contact the Field Operations Captain at (251) 621-3095 and he will determine the best way to remedy the situation.

Residents also have the option of appearing before the Public Safety Committee to request traffic calming devices. The committee meets monthly at the Joseph H. Hall Justice Center. You may email or contact the Public Safety Committee Secretary, Tracy Bishop, at (251) 621-2834 for more information.

Are there noise limits in the City of Daphne?

Yes! City ordinance forbids certain noise levels between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. You may contact our Communications Center at (251) 621-9100 to request assistance. Further, there are also restrictions on loud music from vehicles. Copies of ordinances may be obtained from the City Clerk's Office at City Hall. Call (251) 621-9000 for more information.

What can I do about annoying telephone “hang-ups”?

First of all, you should keep track of the hang-ups. After you have documented a pattern of these irritating calls, notify the BellSouth Annoyance Call Center at 557-6222. If the calls are of an obscene or harassing nature, you should file a report with us at (251) 621-9100.

I received a call from someone representing himself as a police officer. The caller wanted a donatio

It is very likely that the caller was legit. Many police organizations, such as the Fraternal Order of Police and the Police Benevolent Association, solicit funds by telephone. However, if you are in doubt regarding a particular call, just say, "Thanks, but no thanks". You may contact or to verify the fundraiser.

If you would like to make a donation to Daphne Police Department directly, contributions may be mailed to Daphne Police Department, Attn: Office of the Chief of Police, 1502 U.S. Highway 98, Daphne, AL 36526. Daphne also has an employee's association. Click on D.P.S.E.A. for more information.

I want to report the misconduct of a police officer. Who should I call?

The Daphne Police Department demands the highest degree of courtesy and professionalism of its police officers and complaints of misconduct are fully investigated. If you have a complaint, you may call the Patrol Sergeant on Duty at (251) 621-9100.

I have a vehicle for sale. Can I park it in a parking lot?

No. City ordinance prohibits the parking of vehicles for sale in public parking lots or public right-of-ways. In addition, no more than one vehicle for sale may be parked on private property.

If I have a problem with someone, how do I know if it is a police or civil matter?

Most situations involving tenant/landlords, child custody, or consumer/contractors are considered civil matters, which the police have no jurisdiction on. Police officers are not allowed, nor are they qualified, to dispense legal advice. If you are in doubt about your particular situation, call (251) 621-9100 and speak with the Patrol Division supervisor on duty or contact the Detective Lieutenant at (251) 621-2839. Always call us if you feel your civil matter may deteriorate into a situation requiring police attention.

Uh-Oh! Blue lights are flashing in the rearview mirror. Now, what to do?

Getting pulled over by a police officer can be intimidating, frustrating, and even dangerous for the motorist and the police officer. However, remembering some simple steps will help make your traffic stop as safe and as pleasant as possible:

Respond to the blue lights and signal your intentions. The safest thing to do is to pull as far to the right as possible, using turn indicators, to let the officer and other motorists know what you plan to do. If the roadway is clear and the officer doesn't pass you, assume that your vehicle is the one being pulled over. Drive slowly on the right until you find a suitable and safe place to stop. Drive defensively.

Choose a safe location to pull off the road where you won't impede the flow of traffic. You may also pull off the roadway onto the shoulder if the ground is firm. The officer will understand if you drive slowly, looking for a suitable location.

Be aware that the violation may have occurred one or two miles before the traffic stop. This delay is due to the fact that the police have strict procedures for officers to follow to ensure your safety and their's. They're required to give the location, vehicle, occupant description, and license plate to the dispatcher. The officer is also trying to locate the safest place to initiate the stop.

Remain in the vehicle unless the officer instructs otherwise. Distracted motorists have been known to leave the roadway and strike vehicles or individuals at a traffic stop causing injury or even death.

Listen to the officer and comply with instructions. Driver's often assume they're being stopped for a routine traffic matter but the officer may be stopping you because your vehicle is similar to one just seen leaving the scene of a crime. Additionally, many people have warrants out for their arrest, are mentally imbalanced, or simply don't like police officers. Many officers have experienced verbal and physical confrontations as a result of traffic stops. Consequently, the officer may initially be acting under the assumption that you're a safety threat. Control over the situation can be accomplished by keeping yourself and your passengers in the vehicles with your hands visible. If it's a case of mistaken identity, you'll be on your way as soon as it's cleared up.

Remember that Alabama state law requires that motorists have their driver's license on their person while operating a vehicle on public roadways. Also, vehicle registration and proof of current insurance must be in the vehicle. Be prepared to show the officer all of these required documents. The officer may allow you to explain your actions; if so, speak calmly. If the officer saw you commit the violation, your statement isn't necessary.

If your complaint is about the validity of the citation, it must be handled through the courts. If the contact was unprofessional, complain to the police department at the contact numbers mentioned previously. Daphne Police Department wants to know if there's a problem with an officer.

If you comply with the rationale behind an officer's actions by following these steps, you can ensure a safe traffic stop for you and the officer.